The fortress fortress of Sânpetru is one of the eight fortresses built in this area by the German colonists and the Teutonic Knights, driven out of Israel after the Arabs conquered that country. The church is located right on the main road passing through the village: The bell tower is about 57 meters, being an important landmark in the area.
Around 1211, the Teutonic Knights receive from Andrei II of Hungary, Tara Barsei, the area of the Carpathian arch, to be the staircase of the invasion of the Asian peoples and especially the Cuman, a Turkish people whose roots are interpreted in contradictory at present. In this area they will bring German colonists, who will build 8 fortified citadels, located at the intersections of the main commercial roads.
Sânpetru village appears for the first time in the year 1240 under the name of Mons Sanctis Petri.
Unfortunately, the information regarding the appearance of the first church and the development of this village is quite low due to a violent fire in 1625 that destroyed the entire archive, but from what has been preserved, it is certain that initially a funeral chapel was built, because later it transforms into a Romanic church with many Cistercian accents. The Romanesque Basilica received St. Peter’s relic after the departure of the Germans in German Petersberg, while in Hungarian Szent Peter, but in 1794 it was demolished and rebuilt between 1795 and 1797 in the classicist style.
Until it was rebuilt again, Sanpetru faced the Ottoman invasion of 1432 and 1658, but also the three great fires that destroyed much of the village and church. This required the construction of 8 meters high walls with 5 towers of defense and trenches for water circulation in the fortress.
After the fire in 1658, most of the victims were Cistercian monks, buried in the old church, where they kept their place until after the reconstruction of the entire fortress, the traces of these graves can still be seen today in the old church in the fortress.
In 1713, the bell tower collapses due to violent fires that could not be mastered, and a new tower was built only in 1822. Also in 1822, the watch is now perfectly functional today.
In 1826, a 20-book organization was built, designed by Johan Thaiss, an expert in musical instruments for churches.
The fortress is surrounded by two defensive walls and five firing bastions, it can be noticed today that the holes in the walls where the boiled water or the boulders are heated are placed at equal distances, placed so as to contain a larger part of the area around the fortress. The space between the walls had the role of sheltering the cattle during attacks or fires in the city.
Beyond the walls, there were 107 two-story refuge houses, built in 1610, originally homeowners, then converted into stables and warehouses for supplies. These camps are arranged around the church.
The chapel in Romanesque style houses paintings of a real meaning from the 1300s, executed by the Teutonic Knights and the Cistercian Order. The walls of the church, although in an advanced state of decay, depict frescoes made in Gothic style.
The low-quality model reconstructed from 5000+ photos. You can download the .obj file here. The 3D model is free to be used for non-commercial applications, but we will have to give you credit for our project.For a better quality model or for commercial use, please contact us.